Friday, March 17, 2023

What is this about 10% inflation?

The media has been claiming that inflation is at 9 or 10%. Not where I am looking. I saw a breakdown on the news the other morning while treading at cardiac rehab where they claimed groceries were at 10%.

Lies!

Okay, so we don't buy meat. At this time of year we are buying vegetables, as what we put up last year is running out. 

Most items we buy at the grocery store up up 50 to 100%. There are exceptions. Laundry detergent seems to be up only 10-12 percent. But bleach is up over 100%. Coffee is up 50%. Eggs - well everyone knows about them - up 400 to 500%. 

Our overall grocery bill is close to double what it was a year or a year and a half ago - not sure when it all started. 

So maybe the stuff that hasn't gone up in price is stuff we don't buy. 

Oremus pro invicem!

3 comments:

Charlie said...

Shoplifting is up by a similar percentage.

TSO said...

https://truflation.com tries to break it out by category and by week/month/year. (I certainly don't trust government figures.) Ideally I would've just documented my personal inflation rate but I don't keep track that well.

TSO said...

I'm trying to think of ways to get ahead of inflation and that means generally buying in bulk the very limited number of things that store well (i.e. coffee, liquor, toiletries).