Wednesday, March 08, 2023

Education of Men

As an adjunct I have noticed the trend over the last nine years of a decline of men in my classroom, especially noticeable in that I teach Physics and Astronomy. The former was course was always had predominantly male students; no longer the case. 

I read an article recently - but I lost track of where I saw it - which quoted statistics of the overall decline of men going to college. It also quoted statistics of the significant decline of males in leadership positions in companies. 

On one hand it is troubling that men are not pursuing higher education and therefore will be less and less in leadership roles in industry and government. 

On the other hand, it occurred to me recently that with the current "woke" atmosphere of today's higher educational institutions, is may be fortuitous that these men are not getting indoctrinated (at least past high school.) 

I am sure that this is not the reason men are not pursuing higher education; it is probably the decline of the value of a higher degree when it comes to supporting a family, at least in many majors available. There is tremendous needs for skilled tradesmen, and they can make a good living. 

Oremus pro invicem!

1 comment:

Charlie said...

Men who can do math can see that taking out those massive student loans is a losing bet. The ones who can't do math don't study physics.