Tuesday, January 23, 2018

God or Nothing

I have been reading this interview (God or Nothing, Ignatius Press) with Cardinal Sarah off and on for a few months now. I am finally getting close to the finish.

After this, I think Cardinal Sarah's book on silence should be on my list. A couple of passages I found this weekend on which I would like to report:

Here are some possibly comforting lines Cardinal Sarah quotes from St. Therese of Lisieux:

Listen, this is how great your confidence should be! It should make you believe purgatory is not made for you but only for the souls that failed to recognize God's merciful love or who doubted its power to purify. With those who strive to respond to this love, Jesus is 'blind' and 'does not count' [their sins], or rather, in order to purify them, he counts only on this fire of charity that 'covers all faults' and, especially, on the fruits of his perpetual Sacrifice. Yes, despite your little infidelities, you can hope to go straight to heaven, because the good Lord desires it even more than you do, and he will surely give you what you have hoped to receive of his Mercy. Your confidence and your resignation are what he will reward; his justice, which knows your frailty has been divinely arranged so as to achieve this. As you rely on this assurance, just make sure even more that he does not lose any love!

 
Of course, relying on these lines may lead to complacency and presumption.
 
And from Pope Paul VI's "smoke of Satan" homily, comes the following:
 
Science exists to give us truths that do not separate from God, but make us seek him all the more and celebrate him with greater intensity ....

 
Pope Paul VI goes on to comment on how this purpose has been turned on its head.
 
It is good to reflect once more as an instructor in Physics what the purpose is of what I teach.
 
Oremus pro invicem!

2 comments:

TS said...

Wow great excerpts. I have to read that book. I'm reading the Silence book and it's fabulous so far. It's making me wish Sarah was our pope.

Charlie said...

I don't know if Cardinal Sarah will ever be pope, but I wish all popes were like Cardinal Sarah.