Thursday, September 25, 2014

I mentioned below that I have been listening to Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. I am just about finished, and glad that I am. It is not that I don't share her concern and even beliefs about the folly both personally and nationally of having the food we consume travel an average of 1500 miles before it hits our plates. I do. Besides the destruction of the small family farm, the subsidies provided to big business which deceives us into believing we are buying cheap food, etc., etc., - small farm animals and vegetable do taste better.

So what's my beef? I don't worship food-but I am beginning to suspect that the author of Animal, Vegetable, Miracle does.

Sure, I think our way of life on the homestead leads to a great quality of life-working together and eating fabulous meals together. But it is the together and together with God that is the emphasis. The food just helps the celebration-it isn't the celebration itself.

So, I guess I am glad I have listened to the book. I did learn a few things about asparagus, for instance. But I am glad it will be over by the time I get back to the homestead today.

Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: