Tuesday, November 11, 2008

USS Intrepid


It's Veteran's Day and the President is speaking at the re- dedication of the USS Intrepid, formerly an aircraft carrier-now being dedicated as a museum (story here) I have a connection to this ship.

My Dad worked for many years as a scientist (radar expert) as a civilian for the Department of the Navy. He travelled a bit during my childhood. I recall one time his returning from a trip with an officers cap (with scrambled eggs and everything) from the USS Intrepid. I don't know why he was flown out to the ship (it was not at dock) but I recall his homecoming very clearly and his account of one plane missing the hook on a landing attempt. This must have been in the 70's sometime.

I still have the cap, although it a little worse for wear and doesn't fit me anymore.

Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: