Monday, September 17, 2007

Muscadines and another casualty


We picked 7 more pounds of muscadines over the weekend-but not without casualty.

I was up on the step ladder trying to reach some grapes and somehow got something in the my eye which scratched my cornea. I tried to get the debris out by the traditional eye-flush; then putting my head in a bucket a water with my eye open and swishing around; and finally going after it with a Q-tip: I touched it, but couldn't dislodge it. All to no avail. It killed me to go to the hospital-but there was no help for it.

Fortunately the emergency room wasn't overrun with chainsaw accidents and the like on this quiet Sunday night. With not too much trouble they removed the debris, but also confirmed a scratched cornea-which means I have to see another doctor today.

I can't work too efficiently this morning, with one eye closed and swollen, but I'll do the best I can.

Mrs. Curley had a scratched cornea in April-I am surprised I didn't post about it, cause it was quite the thing around here. The way certain people told stories about it made it appear that I was an insensitive lout-but truly that wasn't the case...

I hope whatever comes of the muscadines makes the eye thing worth it.

No comments: