Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Catholic Rendezvous


Many years ago (late 80's) I attended one (maybe two) Catholic Rendezvous' in the Canann Valley in CT. I was living in MA at the time. My sister-who had connections to Christendom College got the invite as Dr. Warren Carroll and Dr. Timothy O'Donnell were going to speaking there. (As I recall, either that time or another, Dr. William Marra was there also.)

These Catholic Rendezvous were a combination of spirituality, speakers, and great fun. I was reminded of it today because I ran across this piece quite by accident. Thomas A. Droleskey gives a much better account of what the Catholic Rendezvous was like:


The Catholic Rendezvous was organized by Bill and Eloise Koneazny in the early 1970s to gather together a variety of Catholic speakers for a combination of talks, spiritual devotions, debates and discussions, all interspersed with a considerable amount of the consumption of adult beverages and the smoking of oversized cigars.


The piece I quote from was a tribute to Bill Koneazny, who I recongize from his description, but whom I barely met at the one Rendezvous I attended.

It is these types of Catholic gatherings that help us build solidarity with other Catholics who are fighting the same struggle to get to Heaven with our families and wanting to celebrate the great feasts and our Faith. (Another example which builds our Catholic culture would be this pilgrimage).

No comments: