Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Childhood

Yesterday (as posted) I received many pictures from my boyhood days. The memories are all good. I had a happy childhood. I loved my parents. Yes my Dad had a temper and was a dominating figure-but I loved spending time with him and listening to his stories and to his views-and of course, he could do anything! I loved (and still do love) my Mom. She was (and still is) always there to listen to her children's troubles-and lend any helping hand she can. She had a firm hand, but I thank God for it even til today. My Mom and Dad's devotion to the truth and to the Faith-even in the adversity that society was laying on-were inspiring and something to strive for. For me there was a peaceful security at home. God was there.

I loved my eleven brothers and sisters. Yes, there may have been times of quarrelling or an older sibling picking on me (I guess I did my share of picking too), but overall, home was the place to be. I didn't need anyone else. The games we played at home were always more fun than those played at a friend's house. I loved my house-I loved the whole growing up experience. I absolutely loved the dinner table with us all sitting around. Every night was something to look forward to (even when we had baked carrots.)

It could only take a special woman (Mrs. Curley) to pull me away permanently from my beloved home.

So it saddens me to the heart when, by the venom I hear in someone's voice or in their writing, that I can recognize that they had an unhappy childhood.

I don't know what makes a childhood happy or unhappy. Oh sure, the environment is part of it, but even that can vary. They say kids are pretty resilient and get over things fast-but not all.

You can talk to two children from the same family (after they've grown up of course) and get two diametrically opposed views of the family they grew up in. Barring abuse or tragedy, how one veiws their childhood must have a lot to do with a person's own choices and attitudes, as well as the events and environment.

I pray today for all those grownup children who don't have those happy memories. For those of us lucky enough to have been blessed with a happy childhood, every day (even now), the sun shines.

Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: