Monday, March 20, 2006

Seems like winter is back for a few days here. I guess this isn't news to most people in the country who are not just getting overnight lows in the high 30's like us, but are actually getting snow. Mrs. Curley is worried she will lose her lettuce, (overnight low on Wednesday is predicted to be 33). The spinach is looking good right now and won't have any survival problems til the real heat sets in. And I don't think she is worried about the herbs she planted a couple weeks ago. Our peach trees are blossoming and the plum tree is budding as is the rose of sharon which were given to us last fall. I haven't trimmed back the muscadine vines-I hope it is not too late. I missed it last year and the crop was sparse.

I had Brother HL-5140 Printer for the last two years. It was a real workhorse. Believe me we do a lot printing here. The fuser went, but I had purchased the 2-year warranty with the printer. Thus I was able to upgrade to the HL-5250DN Brother Printer, and with the rebate on, the new printer didn't cost me a dime-even when buying another 2-year warranty. The new printer does automatic double-sided printer, which is a real boon for us. The few times I have had a problem or question about the printer, the people at Brother have bent over backwards to help or make things right. This has not been my experience with other companies we’ve had warranties with. So if you want a workhorse printer, I do recommend the Brother units. (And they're cheaper than HP).

RequiemPress' next release (Giving Up Stealing...for Lent! see cover art below somewhere) is pretty close to available. We are also coming out with a booklet on St. Cuthbert Mayne-one of the English martyrs under Elizabeth I. The booklet on Cuthbert Mayne comes from a 2-volume set of the Lives of the English Martyrs originally published in 1905 in England. We hope to make them all available eventually in booklet form. We should have the Spring catalogs coming out this week and I guess we will have to update the website also. Of course if you don't want to read our books, there are some great books on the sidebar.

Take A Doctor at Calvary by Dr. Pierre Barbet; this is a medical study(written in the '30's) of what the Passion of Christ would have been like from studying the Shroud of Turin. Granted there are a few inaccuracies in Dr. Barbet's analysis of the Shroud due to technological advances, but the overall presentation is enlightening. Also, Dr. Barbet gives a 'meditation on Christ's suffering based on the medical evidence at the end of the book. I try to read this meditation during holy week every year.

From Bethany, the small holding in Bethune...Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: