Saturday, October 14, 2023

Not a car guy

I have been struggling all week with a bad wheel bearing assembly on the truck. I got a new one, but could not get the old one out. Finally, I went down the hardware store and bought a 2-foot pipe wrench; combine that with the back end of a splitting maul, and after 20 swings or so, it came out. After getting it out, I was in the garage putting a tool away and noticed my own old 2-foot pipe wrench hanging on the wall. 

I don't even know what tools I already own!

Later I removed with much less, (but a little) trouble a second wheel bearing assembly. Am I to be hailed? Ur, no. I had to remove the new assembly I put in because I realized have spending an hour unsuccessfully trying to put the calipers back on the rotor, that I put the dust shield on backwards - so it all had to come off.

Am I finished? No. I damaged the outer tie rod boot during the whole process, so have to replace the outer tie rod. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get the old one off after about an hour of heat, cheater bars, pry bars, etc. 

Done for the day!

But I leave you with this more pleasant picture - a late pumpkin. I am hoping it will turn before the first frost.




Oremus pro invicem!

2 comments:

Charlie said...

I have learned to take pictures of things before I pull them apart. Those pictures help when I put them back together again.

Jim Curley said...

No doubt, wise advice!! Finally got it finished today. Whew!