Monday, February 15, 2016

Presidential politics

The SC GOP primary is coming up, so I guess it is time to pay attention. Previously, I didn't know who would be left, so I didn't get invested with anyone.

Today, Ted Cruz is speaking in Camden (20 miles down the road). Ben Carson will be in Lancaster (30 miles in the other direction.)

Trump has been in Rock Hill where I teach, numerous times over the past weeks. I won't see any of them. The only times I went to see presidential candidates was Alan Keyes and Pat Buchanan - way back.

Leaving aside Carson (who I believe is fading fast), I am not sure there is more than a toothpick's difference between Bush, Cruz, Rubio, and Kasich.

So, what to do?

Here's what I think the best scenario for the country is:

Trump and Sanders both with the most delegates, but not enough to clinch the nomination. In both conventions, the party regulars nominate the establishment candidate (Rubio v Clinton?). People are angry get angry at the parties ignoring their will, and real political upheaval takes place.

I don't know the outcome, but it couldn't be much worse than the two parties we have now.

That all being said, no way I can ever vote for Trump. Which of the others will get my support?-who knows at this point, but I am not sure it matters.

Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: