Tuesday, April 16, 2013

So our corn was up, but our roaming game chickens went and destroyed it. My fault! I like to have 1 or 2 gamecocks and about 8 hens at the beginning of Spring. These provide enough chicken for us as each hen will set and hatch twice or three times during the season (each clutch averaging about 8-12 chicks).Come February, if we have too many hens, we either put them in the freezer or sell them. This year we had some 25 hens and 7 or so roosters left. We whittled down the roosters some, but did nothing about the hens….yet.

Replanting the sweet corn today. But we did harvest our first broccoli yesterday for supper, and I notice flowers on the peas!

We have our small crop of peanuts in the ground and are in the process of plowing the leased acreage next door. Since my two oldest sons are working most of the time, I am taking my share of time behind the horse plow. Things are going well.

Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: