Wednesday, February 03, 2010




"Schooling," [the priest] told me, "has not changed the people for the better. This is the pain in my heart. Those educated want nothing to do with their animals. They just want to leave. Education should not be a reason to go away. It's an obligation to come back."



While the setting for the quote is Africa, it is also true here. It struck me and reminded me of my 91 year-old neighbor telling me that the family farm has died because his generation's children wanted things.

*************

My car radio only works when it rains. This is a good thing on my weekly commute to the city as it gives me time to pray and think. It is also good because the radio often upsets me, as it did yesterday when it rained and the two top stories on NPR were how the Obama Administration was set on making 'family planning' a key aspect of all foreign aid - and it seems the Republican party (at least those quoted) were not too upset by this. And secondly, news on the whole 'don't ask, don't tell' thing. Of course having female soldiers (writing 'female soldiers' truly seems to offend nature) on or close to the front lines in close quarters with male soldiers has some of the same ramifications, doesn't it? Not the way to start the day!

*****************

"Big Spot" hasn't farrowed yet and is not likely to do so tonight. I am hoping she farrows before the rain coming on later in the week.

On a lighter note, here's Number 2 son with a turkey we had tonight. Very tasty!


Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: