Thursday, December 04, 2008

So, we changed the idle pulley and tensioner pulley in the S10, but I left the old belt on as I wanted to observe the failure if indeed we hadn't fixed it. Sure enough. We ran the car for 15 minutes or so while I just stood by. Number 2 son noted the engine temp was climbing. Then as it dropped, I saw the overhead radiator hose collapse in on itself and then sink, hitting the idle pulley, causing the belt to come off! So it wasn't a belt or pulley problem at all! The only indication on the hose was a shiny mark on the right underside.

I opted for the easiest and least expensive solution-new hose and new radiator cap. Changed them out today and preliminary indications look good. I'll have to take it on a few short trips before heading to the city with it.

God is good!

I do note that the economy collapse is beginning to affect people I know adversely. I pray that God helps these good people land on their feet.

Oremus pro invicem!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you see if the thermostat needed to be changed? I have seen these go bad easily, and they are really cheap +/-$15.00.

Jim Dorchak

Jim Curley said...

Gotcha. I picked one up today. The problem is sort of fixed in that the hose is not collapsing, but I can tell there is still a problem-and 99% it is the thermostat.

Thanks. Jim

Anonymous said...

My Dearest Mr. Curley-

The big plan was to install the thermostat today for you. However when the boys and I decided to spend the afternoon on it - we found out you have it with you.

Too bad. (not sure who got the better deal)
love ya!

Mrs. Curley

Anonymous said...

And she cooks too!

Jim Dorchak

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. D-

You are much too kind.
We were glad to see you again and hope to see your lovely bride soon.

Mrs. Curley