Thursday, November 20, 2008

I was asked the other day how much time I spend each working on the homestead itself. I gave an answer, but I can't really say how true the answer was.

A typical day sees me spend an hour in the morning working with the pigs (feeding/cleaning) and overseeing the other early morning chores with the kids. Then I will about spend 30 minutes for the afternoon feeding. Yet I am not sure how many days are actually typical-except maybe Sundays.

One day a week a work in the city and all the homestead work is done by the kids that day.

Maybe yesterday was a typical day. I woke and prayed at 4:30 AM. By 5:00 I was working on Requiem Press stuff. From 7:00 to 8:00, I spent my typical hour in the morning feeding, mucking etc. We ate breakfast. Then I worked on filling orders for a few hours. From 11:00 AM to 1:30 PM or so I took meat off chickens the kids had slaughtered and plucked. After lunch I may some business calls, checked email, did a post office run, and spent 30 minutes with the gentleman who runs the feed store talking about calves. Then I drove to Cassatt and looked at a couple calves (we brought them home-another developing story.) Being CCD night, we ate dinner early and took off for CCD.

Yesterday wasn't really a typical day, but it happens often enough. One Friday morning last month I began slaughtering and skinning a goat at 8:00 AM, was on a conference call for paying job at 10:00 AM. Was butchering at 11:00 AM and was back to computer after lunch by 12:30 for the rest of the day.

So how much time? Who knows. But I do know you have to be flexible and ready for anything around here!

Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: