Tuesday, October 14, 2008

To continue where I left off yesterday... I was conversing with the owner of Kewannee Farms of Dudley, GA ... of course we were talking turkey-that is, talking turkey about hogs. The conversation took some time, and of course that was followed by the conversation between Mrs. Curley and myself where we discussed converting the house-painting fund into a productive pig operation. In our wisdom, Mrs. Curley and I decided that since we really didn't have the means to get big pigs home from the Fair on Monday, we had to let this opportunity pass. As we relayed this message to Mr. Kemp, he upped the ante: "I can bring them out in my truck first thing in the morning!", and voila, just like that we are in the hog business.

So we did we get? First, a best in class March-born purebred Hampshire Boar of champion blood-lines; Secondly, a March-born, purebred, Yorkshire gilt-Grand Champion of the Fair (her mother was Grand Champion last year); and finally an April gilt, sired (AI) by the famous $21K Double Shot (see picture-of Double Shot) Boar of Indiana.

Of course delivery was in the morning, and we were short a pen (we couldn't keep the gilts and the boar together for more than a few minutes) and there was no where to put our little pigs. So needless to say, we were up early yesterday putting up a new pen. I am proud of my two oldest sons who did a great job with little supervision.

Mr. Kemp arrived at 8:00 AM and had the joy of watching us try to catch our two little pigs so we could move the boar into their pen. We put on quite a show for him.

And, oh yes. "Little Big Guy" who I measured to be about 220 lbs 10 days ago: Mr. Kemp assured me that this hog was close to 300 lbs!

While we were still working on the pen for the little pigs (we were holding them in my travel cage) some dear friends from Columbia came by for the day. The kids played, we talked, and of course we prayed the rosary together. It was a great day.

Today I go back to work, but it has been an exciting few days. Mrs. Curley and I keep looking at each other and saying, "What have we done?" The adventure continues .... (Of course, it's not cost effective to have only two sows for one boar-so you know we need a few more-but that can wait a bit.)

Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: