Saturday, May 10, 2008

two ... maybe three

goats that is!

Yesterday (as planned) we stopped by to pick up a six-week old billy and nanny after Mass. While there, the owner said he'd throw in their momma (who has been bred-back, we were told) for a little more. We took it.

This put an added dimension on our preparations. We had prepared the pen for two little goats, but not for a full-grown goat. So the boys and I spent yesterday reinforcing fences and building a new fence section and gate.

The momma nanny has never been milked (and she's not bred for milk), but I may try to milk her just for kicks (get it?). Hopefully they will clear the area for us and the two young ones provide a little meat. And if we get two more little ones in the fall-so much the better. (Good thing I read "All Creatures Great and Small"-I feel like I can deal with any calving situation.)

Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: