Monday, March 03, 2008

This just in ...

On Saturday ...


The winter edition of CMQ. I haven't read too much yet, but did read an interesting take on how to solve the healthcare crisis in America by Michael Greaney of Center for Economic and Social Justice. Not sure what I think of Mr. Greaney's idea. There are a couple terms I need better definition on before I buy in or out.

And Eric Scheske (The Daily Eudemon) recommends 20 books to make you a smart Catholic. I have read 5 of them and perused one more. So I must be 25% there to being smart.


**********************************



It was a reading weekend also. I finally finished Living the Good Life by Scott and Helen Nearing. I picked up (again) Swords Around the Cross (nine years war in Ireland), but also picked up Embryo-A Defense of Human Life.


I am not too far in, but am liking what I read so far. The authors are talking about the differences between embryo science (how and what), embryo technology (what is possible), and embryo ethics (what should we do). Here is some reasoning, reminiscent of some of John Henry Newman's writings:


For, it is not uncommon to hear embryo researchers and their supporters claim that only science should have a say in what science does, and that ethics, religion and politics have no business in the concerns of science.....


It is true that moral philosophy cannot say what the embryo is. Nor does moral philosophy have anything to say about what can be done with an embryo. These are matters of the way the world is, and moral philosophy is concerned with what we ought to do, or refrain from doing. But by the same taken, science, which is concerned with what is the case, has nothing to say about what we ought to do, even in the domain of science.


************************

Mrs. Curley is devouring a book that my Mom sent me to read: Left to Tell. I fell asleep as she was finishing it up last night. It must be good. I haven't read it yet myself-but it is in the on-deck circle.




Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: