Thursday, February 07, 2008

small once more

Okay, so I thought I was going to limit my posting to once per day, but old habits die hard. Here's a thought. I just finished small ... by Joseph Pearce this morning. One last quote:

Lust, envy, avarice, gluttony and pride are all employed as key marketing tools. Instead of sins to avoid, they have become pleasures to indulge. ... The deadly sins of Christianity have become the deadly virtues of consumerism.

Glad I have read small is still beautiful (economies as if families mattered). You would think with all the times I quoted from it, that is has become a favorite book. Not really so. There were parts that were all me. And other parts I could have let pass. Yet overall, I think it has some important messages for today's society and culture. And I would welcome much of the changes proposed therein; and in our own humble way we do try to make some of those changes to smallness here on our small holding in Bethune.

Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: