Monday, February 25, 2008

Apostle, Prisoner, Ambassador

I am reading and praying through St. Paul's letter to the Ephesians in the Knox bible. I have noted that St. Paul refers to himself differently in his various letters. Sometimes it is "apostle" (Galatians, Corinthians, Colossians, Timothy); "servant" (Romans, Philippians, Titus); and "prisoner" (Philemon). (I have heard that Fulton Sheen has a comment on this, but can't remember what it was-something to do with St. Paul's growing humility.)

Although I have read Ephesians several times, I never noticed that Paul changes or clarifies his "title" in the course of the letter:

Paul, by God's will an apostle of Jesus Christ ... (Ephesians 1:1)

I, Paul, of whom Jesus Christ has made a prisoner for the love of you Gentiles. (Ephesians 3:1)

Here then is one who wears chains in the Lord's service ... (Ephesians 4:1)

...for I am an ambassador in chains...(Ephesians 6:20).

I don't know what all this means-just something I noticed.

Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: