Monday, January 14, 2008

"You see, the last creation is the greatest or highest. Plants higher than rocks; animals higher than plants; man higher than animals, and finally, God's masterpiece: woman. Everything has an order."

"No! No! No!", he said, "I got another one. Here it goes: Who got the worse punishment: Adam or Eve? Right-Eve did. Not only does she now have the pain of labor, she also is now under the dominion of man. Why is this so bad? Because she is God's masterpiece and must now submit to a lower being-man.

"Oh wait, I'm not finished yet. Look at this. Christ, in his humility, willingly put himself under the Blessed Virgin Mary. The sinless Blessed Virgin Mary, puts herself under the headship of the not sinless St. Joseph. These things give you a whole new perspective of marriage and Ephesians 5 if you think about them."

So went some of the discussions at my house this weekend spent with old friends.

I was sick towards the end of last week and so did not go on the March for Life in Columbia. Mrs. Curley went with the older kids and met the contingent from our parish. I stayed home with the two youngest. I thought I might get some rest and some office work done when the phone rang.

Friends we hadn't seen in almost 3 years had taken a spontaneous road trip from Alabama and had just arrived in town and wanted to spend the weekend (bringing pizza and beer-how could I say no?), with their 10 children. "Come on over", said I, and quickly called Mrs. Curley at the March for Life and told her not to dally. (Maybe it was Providence that I was home to take the call. By afternoon my lingering illness seemed gone.)

Some friends after a long separation, you pick up with as if it was yesterday-others you find you have nothing in common with. These friends are certainly in the former category for both Mrs. Curley and myself-and it seemed also for the kids on both sides had the same experience.

We had a wonderful time and some wonderful discussions. It was all capped off before they left Sunday night with the family rosary. What a blessing and what a wonderful weekend.

Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: