Thursday, January 10, 2008

This is my mailman!


From the Chronicle Independent:



Bethune postman celebrates 50 years of deliveries

No one could ever accuse Delton F. Jones of being a slacker.


Jones, a rural mail carrier with the Bethune Post Office, received his 50-year service pin from the U.S. Post Office Tuesday -- and at age 72, he has no plans to retire anytime soon. In fact, he probably will not even change his route -- he has been delivering the mail on the same rural mail route, Route 2, Bethune, since 1958.


"Congratulations, Mr. Jones," Nick Rinaldi, district manager with the U.S. Postal Service, said Tuesday, handing Jones his service pin. "This is quite an achievement. There are not many of these around, believe me."


Jones, a wiry, quiet, soft-spoken man, took it all in stride.


"The more I do it, the more I like it," he said. "I was planning on getting in my 20 years and retiring, but I never did it. I decided to stay here."

No comments: