Monday, January 28, 2008

So how did ...

the cat get into the duct work? I spent Saturday morning in the crawl space under the house investigating. I found a huge hole-basically the 14" flexible tubing had been ripped, torn, chewed off a connector section, effectively disconnecting the heat. (Under the house was toasty.) Then number 3 son found another, smaller hole (but large enough for a small cat to climb in) in the duct work leading to the vent in the boys room. This one I couldn't get to. It was on the other side of the house and the crawl spaces were too small.

A trip to the hardware store, and we were back under the house (after dark by this time-but who needs daylight when you're under the house?). I coached number 1 and number 3 son through the splice of the duct work I couldn't get to. They did a fine job.

Then I tackled the larger hole. I spliced this, but probably need to go back and secure it a little more with some sheet metal screws.

Boy, I am still sore from all that crawling, laying on rocks and bumping my head. But heat is restored.

Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: