Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A little science

Ever noticed how some people seem to have everything (knowledge) at their fingertips and can express it readily? And others fumble off the cuff, but with a little time/thought can put on paper what they couldn't verbalize? I wonder if the two talents are often mutually exclusive (that is speaking off the cuff and writing well.)

I know myself, that I can speak better to something I have written about. I often need time to organize my thoughts before expressing them in a coherent manner.

**********************

I don't suscribe to Scientific American, but sometimes browse a copy when I get the chance. The magazine has at times enraged me with their rationalization of their disregard of human ethics in the name of 'science'. Anway, they had a short article in the December 2007 issue answering the question "How to short-term memories become long-term memories? I was hoping, not for a purely neural science explanation, but a dose of the practical also; such as, the more senses you use to study and/or memorize a thing, the faster or deeper it will be embedded in your memory. No such luck.

On the page opposite this article is an advertisement for a $14,615.00 exercise machine that claims a 4-minute workout on this machine equals a 20-45 minutes of aerobic exercise. (You can rent it for 30-days for $1500.)


As you can see, I have nothing much to say this morning-so I'd best get to work.

Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: