Thursday, November 29, 2007

A new business

I am starting a "new business" this morning: selling used books on the internet. We have some around here to get rid of, and we "inherited" some.

There are several sources for used books on the internet. I have always used http://www.abe.com/ for my used book searches and purchases. But ebay and Amazon Marketplace are two other places many people go.

Some of the books we have to sell are commonplace with little value, and some could be collector's items. I need to feel my way carefully as this is all new to me.

Hopefully this isn't a long term endeavor, just a way to get rid of some stuff.

We also have a 1989 Subaru with a shot body and a great engine. We want to disassemble the engine and sell the parts on ebay.

*****************

Speaking of books-since I am already in the business, I have doing a lot of thinking lately. The recent release of Amazon's Kindle, and the general change in how people are entertained and get their information has gotten me thinking about the future of books.

Now I am a book-lover, and I suspect there will always be a certain number of book-lovers. But we are getting rarer. As a publisher, should I start going to audio books?; e-books?; Kindle books (however that works?); Podcast books?

These are things to think about. I am not shy about learning things and new technology. Publishing was totally new to me in 2004 and I think I am getting the hang of it. Your opinions are welcome (via 'email me').

Our Lady of Joyful Hope-pray for us! ... Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: