Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Changes....

You might notice that Comments have disappeared overnight here at Bethune Catholic, and you may notice the (email me) just above the "About Me" profile box over there (see arrow). So what's up?

Well, some blogs live off of (or are driven by) their comments; the comments can be more interesting than the posts. That's never really been the case here. (The comments may be more interesting than posts, but their very existence is pretty rare.) I may go week or more without any comments. Occasionally something posted will elicit a good debate or added information, but that is not norm here.

My favorite blog doesn't allow comments-but if you really want to say something, you can email the blog owner. This is a model I am going to try here.

I guess if someone sends an email to comment on one of my posts, it is open game to quote. I'd like to do that if the comment makes a good point or adds information to the topic.


Secondly, if you are an avid reader here, you may notice one of yesterday's posts is gone. The post, entitled 'prayers of the faithful', discussed the pros and cons of allowing the congregation to publicly express their prayers as opposed to keeping them in the silence of their hearts. I expressed my preference for the latter based on an incident which happened 12 or more years ago in which it seemed two people were using the public prayers of the faithful to have an argument with each other. I did receive a very valid comment from an anonymous poster who wrote that he/she likes to hear these petitions so they could be brought to the rosary. That is a wonderful sentiment.

Yet at the same time my parish generally allows such public expression. As I know that in recent weeks some of my fellow parishioners stop by here occasionally, I think it is prudent to refrain from such posts as they may be misunderstood or misconstrued.

This blog is pretty personal-I don't bare my soul, but I do open my life and thoughts and my family's life to public (albeit a small public) scrutiny. I do this with goodwill. This is not a serious endeavor where I am trying to change the world. My blog is more of an online diary with an occasional plug for our family business. It is not meant to be a forum of controversy-yet sometimes the discussion can be fun. And thus, while I may not shy from the controversial in the future, I will be careful to make sure what I write about can in no way be construed as a personal parish commentary-as my posts seldom have been-even if that seemed to be the case for some.

So, I go forward with great joy on this feast of Ignatius of Antioch.


Our Lady of Joyful Hope -pray for us! ... Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: