Wednesday, September 12, 2007

What are the kids doing?

Mrs. Curley is out of town for a few days as reported elsewhere. Number one son is spending most of his time getting off to a good and serious start with his 1st year of high school studies, when he is not training the puppy. So, what is everyone else doing?


I spend most of my day in the office working. The kids come up periodically with their school work for me to check. Once or twice I have had to clarify an assignment by phone with Mrs. Curley. And sometimes I don't notice that they haven't been up in a while-but if I can't hear any crashing or yelling I figure everything is going okay.



Today after lunch I outlined some chores and some school work to finish before play and then didn't hear another word. At 4:00 or so I came down to make a run to the dump and post office before they closed (yes, our post office has unusual hours-1.5 hours closed for lunch and shuts down at 4:30.)

Oldest son was studying in his room. I wasn't prepared for the dining room.... there was paper EVERYWHERE. And not just paper-tiny cut up scraps like confetti covered the floor almost completely. They had spent 3 hours drawing, coloring and cutting out paper figures. They had made literally hundreds (I think 337 was the number I heard.)

Here's a sample-they are the monks...





...who supposedly converted and baptised (I am told) the King (note that his armor and cape are removable, although this scan doesn't quite capture that.):





I have to admire their industry. They have an entire city of characters-including 2 sets of twins.

They had the floor cleaned and were playing by the time I got home from my downtown run. Now I think they have something (337 somethings) to keep them occupied for the final two days of Mrs. Curley's exile.


Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: