Wednesday, September 05, 2007

on the small holding

Yesterday, I planted carrots. Let me say that again: I planted carrots.

This is the first time in our 3 years here that I have done any planting. I have tilled the garden, watered the garden, weeded the garden, but never planted anything.

Yesterday I planted both carrots and radishes. Today the broccoli goes in. We will do another round of carrots in 10 days or so. And we have a few more vegetables to plant for the fall.

We also should be getting a fig tree and a few blueberry bushes in a few weeks. We're excited about these. Last year we got lots of figs from out neighbor-but his tree was damaged this past year and bore no fruit.

Mrs. Curley is going to grow sprouts this year also (alfalfa, broccoli, and mung bean sprouts).

With all the muscadines, Mrs. Curley will be making jam or jelly today. She was going to last night, then realized she didn't have cheese cloth nor lids for her jars.


The chickens are getting big. Pretty soon I will be inviting our neighbor over to pick out some of our chickens-recall that our dog got some of his.


We are still getting tomatoes-the only thing that came in really well. We have some peppers still on the vine and growing. And we may get a watermelon after all. We finally have some on the vine-yet only one of them seems to be big enough at this point that it will make it before the cooler weather sets in.

Our soil is so sandy I really believe we need more manure and more peat to help hold the water. We will try to remedy this in the fall garden.

************************

This morning at 7:00 AM I held our first PE class of the year. I am sure we were a sight to the cars going to work this morning. Mostly we did calisthenics-introducing the younger ones how to do jumping jacks and squat thrusts etc. I think they had fun.

Before we moved here, when I was employed by a corporation, I would run in the morning before the kids got up. They would straggle down to the living room where I would be doing some calisthenics to cool down. We would then do some together. It was fun and I think some of the kids were remembering those days this morning.

No comments: