Sunday, April 15, 2007

Quite proud of ourselves....

My two oldest boys and I repaired 3 legs broken off of a table on Saturday, and it looks to be holding sturdily. The breaks were irregular, and barring simply replacing them or doing some wholesale replacing of sections, I wasn't sure how to go about it successfully. The table was given to us and is very nice-much better-looking and in character than the large formica covered (former) conference table we have been using quite successfully and practically for years.

Wish I could say that the method of fixing these broken legs was mine, but I got started (though added my own modifications) here .

Basically, I fitted the legs back on table where they broke; taped them with masking tape; drilled holes for pins at right angles to the break, but in more than one spot, using a finishing nail with the head removed. Then using 'rhino glue' (I think it is the 'Liquid Nails' version of 'Gorilla Glue') I glued the legs up and pushed the pins through the holes. I clamped it (using wax paper in various places where glue might ooze) and waited. Once everything was glued up, I sawed off the overhanging pins. Couldn't find my hack saw and didn't have anything to cut off the protruding nails-but fortunately number one son had a hack saw blade in the tool kit he got for Christmas. Cleaned up and it functions like new. I still may have to do some cosmetic work, but the repairs are not easily seen, so it goes down lower on the priority list.

It would be useful now to have a digital camera to document the steps for future reference, even better to film it.

***********************

Divine Mercy Sunday... we finished our Novena here at home. Mrs. Curley and two daughters did it at Mother Angelica's shrine in Alabama. At our parish we had incense and a special blessing of the Divine Mercy image of Christ which hangs in our Church. Father preached on Christ's great mercy for us-I am glad as I am in constant need of it.

We had a lot of incense on Holy Thursday, the Easter Vigil, and Easter Sunday. I like how it adds solemnity to the Mass. Apparently some people thought it was too much (our Church building is very small, only seating about 100), so it was toned down today.

Because of Mrs. Curley's expedition to Alabama, I get an extra day of break from school. It was touch and go for a while as we have to find our own substitutes, but I found someone on Saturday. Will enjoy the extra day off-although I will probably be working through most of it. I have a wax seal to replace on a toilet and some consulting work to wrap up.

No comments: