Monday, April 09, 2007

The Passion ... the Waiting .... the Resurrection

Saturday the kids put on (with numerous friends) their annual Passion play. Pictures will be forthcoming in a week or so. I think it is one of those things where the players probably get more out of it than anyone else as they have to think about what really happened in order to play it right.

Went to the Easter Vigil with my oldest son. It is only the 2nd time I have gone to an Easter Vigil, last year being the first. I had to go through the Mass with the altar servers who had not ever served Sunday Mass at St. Catherine's or an Easter Vigil. My son is the 'expert' on the incense, so he came to help out. Although, as it turned out, I think they would have done just as well without me. It was beautiful as always and a full house.

Yet there is something about the Easter Sunday morning Mass, especially at St. Catherine's which is even more beautiful. We did have an infant Baptism on Sunday morning. (And maybe I am biased because my daughter was doing the music for Easter Sunday.) Let's put it this way. A large Church can do an elaborate ceremony with all the pomp which is appropriate-like the Easter Vigil-in a way a small country parish can't. At the same time, a more simple Mass like Easter morning can be done more beautifully, elegantly, yet simply in a small country parish like St. Catherine's in a way a large parish can't. And this Easter Sunday morning may have been the most beautiful I have seen. We had the Agnus Dei and Sanctus in Latin. Were treated with the singing of the Regina Caeli before Mass. We prayed "Jesus my Lord, my God, my All" during Communion (to an overwhelming crowd for our parish.) We had the infant Baptism, incense, etc. I don't think it could have been more beautiful. (We were also reminded that we couldn't be too smart if we end up in Hell when we have the mark of Baptism on our soul.)

We came home and cooked a large brunch-so much we really didn't eat dinner-just snacked here and there. Then we sent the kids walking outside while we hid their baskets inside. Once found (oldest daughter found hers last as is tradition). Then as they ate candy we had them clean up inside as Mrs. Curley and I hid eggs outside.

Reminder, the Divine Mercy Chaplet Novena continues this week.

No comments: