Friday, March 23, 2007

Had a few extra minutes this morning ...

... so I visited a number of blogs I haven't been to in a long time. There are a lot of stories to comment on and link to. But with great will-power and an eye on the clock, I refrain. Explore the Catholic blogsphere for yourself.

However, I do note this story . I guess my comment is: While you are in college learn some self-control and this won't be such problem-eh?

In this week's The Wanderer, James Fitzpatrick's column called "First Teachers..." quotes a reader:

I think many Catholics have forgotten the blessings of poverty. We pay no income tax... and can't afford multimedia extras, so remove ourselves from much of the guilt of indirectly supporting the government and corporate-funded culture of death.

Amen, sister! And how about happiness? We know money don't buy it-even though we try to keep proving that it will. "If only I had ____, I'd be content. That's it, I don't want anything else."-until the next time. St. Augustine cuts through all the hype and gets to the core of our being: "Our hearts are restless until they rest in You".

**************************

Two of my children asked me to quit the teaching job this week. One was very imaginative about it. She asked if I ever went to confession. When I replied that I did indeed, she said, "Well we never see you go anymore." (Note: our pastor is available for confession anytime, so many of the family go directly before or after Mass during the week. Of course I have not been able to go to Mass during the week with the family since August.) She continues: "You should quit teaching so we can make sure you go to confession." Was the emphasis on quitting the job or my need for confession? Didn't want to take any chances, so I went to c0nfession downtown yesterday morning.

From Bethany, the small holding in Bethune...Oremus pro invicem!


No comments: