Friday, February 02, 2007

Candlemas



Well, I guess it is time to take down the Christmas tree. Just last night the first two bulbs slipped off the branches. And now Lent is just around the corner.

We mentioned this fact to our CCD class on Wednesday night. There were a couple comments to the effect that they hated Lent-having to give up things and all that. What a different perspective Mr. Riddle brings:

I was reminded yesterday by Tom at Disputations that it is never too early to begin thinking about Lent. Since I've been thinking about Lent since the day after Easter last year, I would heartily concur with that opinion. I love Lent. I love the spirit of penitence that never seems like penitence because it is such a calm and peaceful sea in which to swim. So many things to give up and then never notice their absence because the faculties are ordered to paying attention to God. For me, the season is a small miracle each year.

I can recall years when I truly looked forward to Lent, and other years where I dreaded its coming. In those latter years, I must have been fighting against God's grace.

1 comment:

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

Hi, you should check out this post about the whole Christmas tree thing http://ebeth.typepad.com/reallearning/2007/02/i_love_you_tree.html
I was reminded of it when I saw your picture of the tree, you could do this idea!