Saturday, December 16, 2006

Guinness is good for you


Last night we were watching a Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers video (1934 The Gay Divorcee). What a scandalous title in these days. Actually it has some problematic material in it-treating divorce lightly. (Edward Everett Horton and Eric Blore are hilarious as always. And Fred and Ginger dancing remind me of when Mrs. Curley and I used to take the floor..... sort of) But what caught my eye (or actually first my number 1 daughter's eye) was a flashing neo light in the background as Fred Astaire searches for Mimi (Ginger Rogers) through the streets of London in vain. The flashing sign said........

2 comments:

Long-Skirts said...

"Guinness is good for you"

But of course, doncha' know...


MAN'S BEST FRIEND

A man's best friend,
If you please,
Is not a dog
But cheddar cheese.

A cheese who's taste
Runs sharp or mellow,
Why, cheese with beer
Can help a fellow!

And make him look,
Like a handsome hunk,
When he passes some
To a girl that's drunk

In the local pub,
If truth be told,
When the girls get silly
Then cheese is gold.

Where drafts of beer
Make you look better
As she gulps them down
With a side of cheddar!

Iosue Andreas Sartorius said...

My Irish grandfather insisted that my mother gave one Guinness a day when she was prgnant with me.

Also, I once heard from an English chemist that 24 pints of Guinness and egg had the daily nutrients neeeded to sustain a human being.