Thursday, October 26, 2006

This week I am having each of my students teach a problem to the rest of the class. The idea being that you learn something more thoroughly if you have to explain it to others. After class yesterday, when one of the students had just finished teaching his problem, he says to me, "Mr. Curley, this is hard."

The weekend is looming-and with it the prospect of a water heater installed! Winter is coming early this year (nights in the low 30's has been the norm this week). Hot water will be a welcome addition to the family.

When I was a kid in Catholic schools, we got Holy Days of obligation off. (Catholic schools shouldn't make a teacher work on a Holy Day. This, it seems would violate the precepts of the Church.) The school I teach at does not give the November 1st off. So I am hoping to find a substitute teacher and take it off so I can celebrate All Saints Day with my family and parish.

1 comment:

Long-Skirts said...

Good for you Mr. Curley. Take off work and celebrate this beautiful holy day with your family. It is our inheritance!! My children will be off of school as they are in a Traditional Catholic one with the daily Tridentine Mass and Sacraments...Deo Gratias!!
YES,I KNOW
NOVEMBER

Yes, I know November
The tolling of the bell,
The whispers of the suf'ring souls
From mountain top to dell.

The chilly, gray, damp mornings
The rusting of the leaves,
The whispers of the suf'ring souls
Like moans from one who grieves.

And in the windy noon-time
When clouds fight 'gainst sun's might,
The whispers of the suf'ring souls
Cry, "Sanctuary light!"

So 'fore the red-glassed candle,
Compelled, I go to pray,
The whispers of the suf'ring souls
Plead, "Sacrifice today!"

Now, deep, dark sanctuary
Is lit by candle, bold,
The whispers of the suf'ring souls...
"Your prayers are autumn gold!"

So like the leaves of autumn
I fall to kneeling posture,
The whispers of the suf'ring souls
Beg, "Say a Pater Noster!"

The flicker in the red glass
Burns hotter, now, with Creed.
Oh, yes, I know November!
The month of Hope...souls freed!