Thursday, May 11, 2006

Taking stock and other things

As regular readers are aware, I run RequiemPress. I also take on other jobs as necessity demands to make ends meet; because a two year old Catholic publishing company (unless a well-funded non-profit) does not easily support a family of our size (if any). Thus, I have run newspaper routes, sold crafts, done some patent consulting work (my former profession) etc. on the side.

I have a job interview tomorrow morning for a position which would provide steadier and regular pay (maybe benefits too!) - but still allows a flexible enough schedule for us to continue the RP endeavor here. I won't get too specific, but it is a job with some long seasonal periods off, which would allow us to continue to put out new books-albeit maybe at a slower pace at times. But we could grow the business and put some $$ back into the business instead of using it all to feed us. Certainly, I am not thrilled to work away from home, but I need to do whatever it takes. And this would be a position, if I get it, I would enjoy. (My youngest daughter who is 4 doesn't remember me going off to work every morning, as my office is at home.)

Now if I had 10,000 readers or so a day here at Bethune Catholic, I would simply put up a 'PayPal' button and ask for donations once in a while (ala Mark Shea) and we'd probably be fine-our needs are very modest; and I would do this because I do believe we are doing (or at least trying) something important and worthwhile-and slowly but surely, with God's help, Requiem Press is succeeding.

However, readership here is only a few dozen a day; amazingly even with these small numbers the readers here have generously bought more than their share of books from us-especially last Sept-October, when you literally provided our groceries and paid our critical bills for a month or so by answering our appeal to purchase the Holy Souls prayer books.

I have been overwhelmed by the generosity of the Catholic community-both locally in my parish, and here in st. blogs. When I initially read Deus Caritas Est, I was deeply moved when I realized that we, the Curley's, (though we are ourselves had often been selfish in past times when our money was in plentiful supply), were benefiting from Christian charity like that of the early Christians-charity as described in Acts 4: 34-35 ("For neither was there any one needy among them. For as many as were owners of lands or houses sold them and brought the price of the things they sold, And laid it down before the feet of the apostles. And distribution was made to every one, according as he had need. ")

So today, and in the coming days as we try to discern God's will, please say a prayer that we are open to God's will for us. If your prayers are even half as effective as your material generosity has been-we will be rich indeed. We have just completed our 2nd year in business, and certainly (God-willing) are looking forward to many more books and many more years.

From Bethany, the small holding in Bethune...Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: