Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Wednesday Morning

Did a little more housecleaning on the blog this morning-fixed a bad link and added a couple ones forgotten in the transition. Sometime I may add more, but I don't have much time to explore new blogs. I have enough trouble keeping up with the meager blogroll I have now.

TS mentions (here) the blessing of passing on your Patron Saint's feast day. I have known a couple similar situations. Recently the mother of one of the CCD teachers at our parish passed away and the funeral Mass landed on the feast of St. Agnes-her mother's patroness. Our pastor noticed it the day before the funeral.

Closer to home, was the case of my Dad. He was hit by a car and died of injuries sustained about 24 hours later. Originally my Mom had planned on Thursday afternoon/evening wakes and Friday funeral Mass and burial. The funeral director cautioned her to postpone a day because the coroner would need to make an examinaton due to the death by accident. My Mom agreed to have the funeral on Saturday, November 13th. The night after Dad died, I was staying with my Mom at home and couldn't sleep. My Mom had a calendar with the traditional saints' feasts (which included those who are not on the official or universal calendar anymore). It was about 2 AM and I happened to look at the calendar. I noticed that November 13th was the traditional feast of St. Stanislaus Kostka-my Dad's patron saint. I was flooded with joy and consolation. Of course I wanted to tell somebody, but I was the only one up. May his soul and all of the faithful departed rest in peace.

From Bethany, the small holding in Bethune...Oremus pro invicem!

1 comment:

TS said...

Cool story about your dad. Definitely a Godincidence!