Saturday, March 04, 2006

Deus Cartitas Est!

I am very excited! Yesterday I started reading Pope Benedict XVI's first encyclical. I had not read any excerpts yet appearing on ZENIT or on other blogs. I had read some commentary, but not much. Of the commentary I did read, most focussed on the first part of the letter (the difference between eros and agape).

I have not finished the encyclical, but am close. Based on what I have read so far, (I am well into part II), when I do finish it, I believe I will have a great need to write about it, both here and on my other blog and elsewhere-especially focussing on the second part of the letter.

I don't think I would have appreciated this encyclical as much 3 years ago as I do now. 3 years ago it would have been just "Ho, hum. I've heard all this before." However, in the past year or so I have learned so much more about Christian charity and my heart aches because of my failings in this area, both in practice and understanding.

More to come... (after I finish the encylical and get my chores done around here).

From Bethany, the small holding in Bethune...Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: