Thursday, July 07, 2005

It has been several days since I've had time to post anything. I will try to check in a few times over the next few days - but no promises.....


I have been meaning to comment on the recent Supreme Court vacancy. Others, here, and here, and here and here and here have done so. The Republicans have a very mixed record (as we know - the same party who gave us Thomas and Scalia also gave us Souter, O'Connor, and Kennedy) on appointing Supreme Court Justices - yet this is the very issue that our Catholic friends who are active Republicans used to convince us to vote for Bush as opposed to a 3rd party candidate. I will pray with hope that Mr. Bush nominates someone who understands that our Constitution protects all our citizens and not just those who can hire lawyers for themselves - but I have no expectations either way. Mr. Bush's record is mixed on pro-life issues. I don't know if his pro-life instincts are truly out of conviction or out of political expedience. The Republicans have had an indefensible position on abortion for years (abortion is murder unless the father of the unborn is a criminal, then it is perfectly okay) - which makes me doubt either the philisophical intelligence or the sincerity of the adherents to the "pro-life" plank.

I would like to expound more, but must go for now.

From Bethany, the small holding in Bethune...

Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: