Tuesday, May 03, 2005

God Provides ....

One of the problems with having to do all e-mail checking and blogging at the local library is that you don't have the proper time to mull over and critique your posts before publishing. Finally last evening a computer technician came out to install the new network card which had been UPS'd last week. It was something I certainly could have myself, but if I had done the installation, the warranty would have been voided. As it turned out, I couldn't have done it myself because the part sent wasn't a network card. They had sent a internal modem. Fortunately for me the computer technician had a brand new network card in his bag of tricks and installed it. Now we are up and running again.

Since I don't get the newspaper much, we don't watch TV, and radio stations with actual news on them are few out here, I really have been cut off for the past week. I did make sure nothing cataclysmic had happened by scanning the headlines of the newspapers whenever I stopped for gas. But it will take me a few days to catch up with all of st. blogs and the news - especially as things are busy here.


I appreciate the concerns expressed below (Alicia and William Luse) and elsewhere (Hallowed Ground) on our well-being. My comment on "taking stock" maybe was not well thought out. It is true that after a year at a new enterprise you should sit down and see where you are going. And it is certainly true that Catholic publishing is not a "get rich quick" business. It takes a long time to get established. One Catholic publisher I had consulted before starting our endeavor told me that my enterprise was "an act of madness" - and he is probably correct. However, we are having fun! Certainly, all prayers are welcome. And certainly the next few months will be critical. I have promised to blog about the "important book" which we are releasing at the end of May. I will say quite a bit about it in the next few weeks - but later. The success of this book and two more which should appear before the end of summer will be crucial to Requiem Press remaining viable. I am not worried - God will provide one way or the other. So pray, yes - I will never refuse prayers; be concerned no. God has blessed us abundantly. The clouds I mentioned in the post below are real - in that hard work, sacrifice, prayer, faith, and patience will be needed over the next months - but these are all things to embrace as gifts.

I mentioned some time ago that we were reading the story of the Trapp Family Singers out loud every night. (We have missed a week or so and must get back on track). Once, early in their singing career in the States, the Von Trapps had four months between concert series and only $50 to their name. They had seen some craft fairs in the area and decided to join in with some Austrian crafts and gifts. They made enough $$ to survive the four months without further debt. In this same spirit, the Curley's have decided to try a little crafting of our own. I, with the help of the boys, am going to make some toy wooden pistols and rifles (don't tell Amy Welborn - see her comments on the subject of toy weapons and boys here) . Mrs. Curley is going to make some "Roy Rogers" bandanas. We have made these as presents for our own kids in the past. In a couple weeks there is a craft show at the Camden Revolutionary War Park some 20 miles from here. It should be interesting, fun, and hard work for the whole family - both in the making and in the selling. [If we have surplus at the end of the day, I will post some pictures and offer them to y'all at a discount. ]

Finally, before signing off, chicken production (eggs) is not quite back to normal, but about 80% there. We haven't eaten any chickens in a while. But I have feeling this will change this weekend. A couple friends will be coming over to our place for a May Crowning of our Blessed Mother. I think we will kill the "fatted chickens" for the occasion.

From the small holding in Bethune...

Oremus pro invicem!

1 comment:

TheresaMF said...

That sounds so beautiful.

My family used to read out loud every night in bed. We read everything from Dickens and Bronte to James Harriet's hilarious stories of life as a Yorkshire vet. Once we read Gerald Durrell's book My Family and Other Animals and laughed so hard that none of us could continue reading, though each tried in turn. (The book is humorous, but requires editing.) I've read the Trapp family's books too, though we didn't read those as a family.

God bless you and your family.