Thursday, March 31, 2005

Two Lives

Every morning when I turn on the computer, the first thing I check is how Terri Schiavo is doing and how the 'powers that be' have found a new way to make sure this woman dies - no appeals heard. (I also notice that the Supreme Court is not releasing information on the vote.) It is amazing that she has held on this long. There is a will to live in Terri Schiavo. She is making sure we notice!

And in the background our Holy Father is fading. While it still may be years or only weeks, his illnesses seem to be finally taking their toll. I have feared his death as one fears their own father's death. He has been a spiritual father to me. As my own father taught me in practical ways how to love a wife and children, how to fix almost anything, how to have faith, how to teach children and countless other things;John Paul's writings have helped me understand the human person, marriage, economics, prayer, family life, and many other things which effect my daily life. John Paul has helped me understand the things my Dad taught me to do. As when my own father died some 6 years ago - I will realize in a special way (that only comes when you stop and reflect) again the gift God has given me (and the whole world) in John Paul - as he gave me in my own father. I will lament that I have not been as a good a steward of the gift as I should have been. I will pray for mercy and pray that I will appreciate God's gifts more in the future.

From the small holding in Bethune ...

Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: