Monday, November 01, 2004

Cup Custard and All Saints Day

I normally don't spend much time in the kitchen (other than an occasional breakfast). It's not that I don't like to cook, (I can vaguely remember my bachelor days of hot dogs and beans every night), but when you have a Mrs. Curley who cooks like she does, there is no reason, normally. There have been a few times when Mrs. Curley has been on bed rest or other thankfully short occasions when I have donned the apron. Few of my younger children remember these times because the last was several years ago.

So yesterday, with Mrs. Curley feeling sick (along with a couple of the kids), and with baking to be done for the first All Saints Day party Mrs. Curley is running at our new parish, I had to step in the gap and do some baking. The youngest children looked at me with a mixture of confusion and amusement as I started whipping things together. (The best compliment I received was that I was neater than Mom.)

As a few of the kids were sick, I also made some cup custard. Cup custard is a wonderful but strange concoction. It was always a favorite of mine when I was a child - but you only got it when you were sick - making the eating always a mixed blessing. It is full of protein (eggs) but has a mild and subtle taste. The taste is so subtle in fact that you just can't seem to grab hold of it - making you want more. But it never quite satisfies.

The rest of the evening was spent putting together saints costumes for the kids. This year we have a St. Patrick, St. Bernadette, St. Rita, St. Padre Pio, St. John Birchman, and St. Gabriel Lalemant.

It was a quiet night - no tricker-treaters on country roads, but we did have a visit from a pack of coyotes, wolves, or wild dogs. We scared them off before knowing exactly what they were.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"After this I saw a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and tribes, and peoples, and tongues, standing before the throne, and in sight of the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands: And they cried out with a loud voice, saying: Salvation to our God, who sitteth upon the throne, and to the Lamb. ..... And he said to me: These are they who are come out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and have made them white in the blood of the Lamb. Therefore they are before the throne of God, and they serve him day and night ..." Rev. 7: 9-10, 14-15

A blessed feast of All Saints!

From the small holding in Bethune ...

Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: