Friday, August 31, 2007

Training

Reading Amy Welborn's post about potty training this morning recalled to me a story from several years ago....

We were living in Columbia, my youngest sister was graduating from college in Front Royal, VA-about a 7.5 hour ride. We all couldn't go for some reason, so I decided to take my oldest son-who was trained, but it hadn't been all that long. (We tend to be late trainers around here, so son was probably 3 or so.)

Mrs. Curley warned me to stop at a rest area around 10:00 to let him go. Obediently I do so-but son wouldn't cooperate. So we get back in the truck and drive. We stopped for lunch. We had packed lunches, but I stopped anyway so we could relax and try again at the bathroom. I made sure son drank tons of fluid leading up to and at our stop. Then, we went to the restroom. He wouldn't go. I sat him down, he wouldn't go.

So as we climb back into the truck (now, I'm panicking cause I just loaded him up with tons of water and we have 200+ miles to go) I tell my son, "You just have to go. You can't hold it forever."

His reply: "Dad, I'll go when we get home!"

I couldn't believe it. Well, he didn't wait quite that long. But he didn't go til we got to the motel. Then he surely let loose!

No comments: