Friday, August 31, 2007

The School Year

Our start date for school here varies from year to year. This year we will be starting next week. My oldest son is starting high school, so my role increases for him dramatically this year.

Over this year, I may post on the curriculum or particular assignments as I prepare them or have discussions with son about them.

Today, I will just start with some comments about our religion texts: Chief Truths of the Faith and Catholic Morality by Fr. John Laux (TAN). For my son, this course is step into new territory. In the past the focus has been on the Baltimore Catechism. Sure many other things have been included, but the learning the catechism was the primary goal. The first book-Chief Truths makes the transition easier, because it will cover much of the what the catechism does. Yet this course will integrate Scripture more fully than before and require writing essays.

The second half of the year will be fun for both of us. Studying Catholic morality and looking at outside sourses always brings up good discussions.

In the next four years, the religion curriculum will cover (in addition to these books) the Mass and Sacraments (including a unit on the 'extraordinary' form); Catholic Apologetics; and he will have read the whole Bible (between the year studying Scripture and history class) by the time he is finished.

I have some work to do this weekend as I am not yet fully prepared. But, let's get started!

Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: