Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Feast of the beheading of John the Baptist

This feast has some importance in our family....it is also Mrs. Curley and myself's wedding anniversary. John the Baptist is also the patron of our diocese of Charleston.

Last year on this feast (or a day late) I posted this. I am not sure I have a better reflection on his beheading, so I will direct you there if that's what you want. (This is the picture I grew up with in our Children's Bible.)

This morning as I prayed the Benedictus, I pictured Zachariah sweeping his son out of the Elizabeth's arms as he prophesizes: "You my child shall be called the prophet of the Most High; for you will go before the Lord to prepare his way; to give His people knowledge of salvation by the forgiveness of sins."

What a dramatic scene that must have been. I have often wanted to see it dramatized. But back to the question I was leading up to-I wonder what a prophet thinks he is saying-or how much understanding he has-when he utters God's prophecies?

Oremus pro invicem!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I told my frends about this Children's Bible I grew up with that had a picture of the beheading of John the Baptist. Googled it and found you had posted it! Thank you for bringing back memories. : )