Wednesday, October 12, 2016

If I were a rich man ....

You all understand, of course, that a vote for Trump is a vote against that the most pro-life candidate running for president. (really?)
 
You all understand, of course, that it is only moral to vote for the lesser of two evils when there are NO other choices?
 
The wars are heating up, and even as prominent "conservatives" are abandoning Trump, others are surprisingly clinging even tighter.
 
I was in an email exchange this week which was prompted by a friend forwarding an article to me and a bunch of other Catholics on why Catholics should vote for Trump. (Interestingly, the organization sending out the article abandoned Trump themselves in midst of our "discussions".)
 
It is interesting that not a single one of my arguments against voting for Trump and voting 3rd party (practical or philosophical) was ever addressed by those opposing me in the exchange. Their total arguments consisted of attacking me-often personally, "the Supreme Court", and the tired, old, philosophically flawed, and bullying technique of "If you vote 3rd party, you are voting for Clinton."
 
I can understand, but do not agree with, the "stop Clinton" reasons. In fact, I refer readers to the first two sentences above just for starters.
 
This whole thing reminds of a line from Fiddler On the Roof (watched this weekend):
 
And it won't make one bit of difference
If I answer right or wrong
When you're rich they think you really know.

Apparently I am not rich enough to have my arguments even considered by many others. I guess Trump is!
 
Funny how worldly success attracts the respect and admiration of even those who say that worldly success is not important and secondary to relationship with God!
 
Years ago I never understood in Alphonsus Liguori's Stations of the Cross, the big deal about eschewing all human respect.

My outraged Jesus, / by the weakness You suffered in going to Calvary, / give me enough strength to overcome all human respect ....


I wish I was still in that state of oblivion, because sometimes (especially this week) how I crave it. I want others to say I am right. (It should be good enough for me that Mrs. Curley does - but I am a greedy man.)
 
BTW, I am not fishing here-if my craving were satisfied, this would be a bad thing spiritually for me. If you think I am right about anything, keep it to yourself!

Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: