So yesterday we pressed the sorghum stocks at a farmer's place about 10 miles down the road. We got home and started cooking the sorghum juice to reduce it to syrup.
We didn't get a whole lot of juice, about 8-10 gallons. This should yield about 1 gallon of syrup. Next year we will space the sorghum better and give it more manure.
We cooked a few gallons yesterday and figured out when to stop cooking. One batch we had to cook again because we took it out too soon.
This morning I am cooking the rest. It is a 3-4 hour process to cook a batch. We don't have an evaporator, so we are cooking it in batches on the stove. If it was a little cooler I might cook it outside.
We had a little sorghum to sweeten our cream of wheat at breakfast. Delicious!
Oremus pro invicem!