Wednesday, August 12, 2009

I was going to post on this ...

but someone else did it better and sooner. The point in question is "Cash for Clunkers". I will let him speak:

Auto salvage yards are often used by handy car owners who cannot afford the parts and labor of a professional mechanic. With a drop in the supply of parts, the prices will rise... and what was once affordable may no longer be so. And once again, low income Americans get unintentionally shafted.

Read the whole entry here.

The Clunkers are crushed and shredded; thus parts can't be resold. Of course this isn't my only problem with the program, but it is one that has a direct effect on what we do around here when the car breaks.

Oremus pro invicem!

4 comments:

Jim Dorchak said...

I am one of these. I need a stupid little 25 cent spring for my door strap on my 15 passenger van. No I have to buy a $55.00 strap in order to get a new 25 cent spring.

Jim Dorchak

Jim Curley said...

Same part I need for my Chevy Van.

Andrew said...

Does the cash-for-clunkers apply to cars that have been in wrecks though? Of course, if everyone trades in their old cars, then they won't be on the road to get into wrecks and go into junkyards anyway...

Jim Curley said...

Good point both ways Andrew. I never thought of the objection, or the answer.