Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Hoppin' John

From Rodale's Naturally Great Foods Cookbook (1977):

It is traditional to serve Hopping John on New Year's Day throughout the Carolinas. Eaten then, this dish is believed to bring good luck and plenty of everything the rest of the year.

Hoppin' John is a brown rice and black-eyed pea dish made usually with bacon and often cooked in a crock pot; but Mrs. Curley made it last night with pig's feet--delicious!

It wasn't New Year's Day, but it seems to me that yesterday (or thereabouts) did mark our 5th anniversary on the homestead at Bethany. Of course if you eat Hoppin' John with collard greens, it is supposed to ensure the following year brings wealth. We forgot the collards ... Oh well what do we need wealth for, we have everything!

Oremus pro invicem!

6 comments:

TS said...

Haven't read this yet but thought I'd pass it on...for what it's worth:

http://www.american.com/archive/2009/july/the-omnivore2019s-delusion-against-the-agri-intellectuals

Jim Curley said...

Thanks-I'll check it out. - Jim

Unknown said...

What did you do the pigs feet to cook them?

Jim Curley said...

TS-I read the article and learned a bit, but am not completely convinced of his arguments. It is not just arm-chair critics who would dispute the good 'industrial farming', but also some real-to-life farmers like Joel Salatin who is very successful and well-known.

I don't have time to comment point by point, but I do believe that the author misses some important philisophical points because he is focussed on efficiency of scale and capital economics. He has some starting assumptions (that he believes is common ground) that I would dispute.

Hope I have time to blog on it later or find someone I can link to who does it better than I.

Jim Curley said...

Dear 'attractionmarketers': I will ask Mrs. Curley to post her prep and recipe. Stay tuned!

TS said...

It is not just arm-chair critics who would dispute the good 'industrial farming', but also some real-to-life farmers like Joel Salatin who is very successful and well-known.

This is good to know...(It probably goes w/out saying that I don't know enough about the topic to comment even semi-intelligently.)