Friday, November 07, 2008

The week in review

The week began of course with the election. What I will remember most this years edition is the gushing....that is ABC network reporters and analysts gushing when the election was called. There was no hiding it from their faces and speech. (We watched ABC because it was the only network we could get a semblance of reception of out here.)


The week ended with a new blogfast from Mr. Culbreath. In between was a lot of work (which is a good thing.)


My consulting work kept me busy this week and I found out a trip to Quebec and New Jersey may be upcoming in the next few months. (I have never been North of the border before-do I need a passport now? I will have to find out what are the sights to see. My oldest son already told me there is a Church in Quebec with a memorial to St. Isaac Jogues.)


Been also working hard filling a few orders for RequiemPress ; it's doing a bit better after a weak 3rd quarter.


Received the latest issue of CMQ. Some great articles: on why the Church has 'Social Teaching' and where to find it; and a heroic if tragic account of the siege of Famagusta in 1570/71.

Then we had first Friday Mass and breakfast, followed by Mrs. Curley and the girls leaving us menfolk to go on a mother-daughter sewing weekend.


This evening I ground some pork and made some sausage (not my own mix-but EVERYONE around here swears by Legg's Old Plantation Sausage Mix-so I got some. We will try a bit for breakfast.) The boys and I spent a couple hours this afternoon singing and playing folk songs and then ate our fish and beans while watching Hopalong Cassidy in "Leather Burners". (Robert Mitchum had a bit role as did George Reeves, the first Superman.)


Tomorrow the boys and I are going to do some woodworking (although I think my eldest son is going to finish tanning a couple hides.) So a pretty eventful week.


One note on the election: while I am not pleased with the result, I was expecting it. I am also not one to spend my time worrying about the consequences of such election. Sure there is work to be done, so let's get at it (personal holiness is the real work.)


Finally, Sunday is the 9th anniversary of my father's death. I usually don't post on Sunday's and probably won't this Sunday either. But as I offer prayers for the eternal rest of my Dad, I will do so also for the departed loved ones of all my faithful (and fleeting) readers.


Requiem aeternam dona eis Domine, et lux perpetua luceat eis. Requiescant in pace. Amen. — Eternal rest grant to them O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May they rest in peace. Amen.


Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: