Wednesday, August 20, 2008

It's Here!

Good-bye to the Buckley saga for a couple weeks while I immerse myself in The Gulag Archpelago. I don't know how I am going to get through 700 odd pages of parts I & II before it is due back to the library (after all, I am no TS). Even the first couple pages are gripping as AS pulls you into the desperation of being arrested-something most of us never think about.

*******************

Speaking of being arrested, I guess yesterday was the first day of school in some of these parts (bear with me a few moments.) On my way into the city yesterday I was traversing Route 20 East. In the right lane, there were several cars going well under the speed limit of 70 mph, thus myself and the 18-wheeler in front of me decided to pass in the left lane. As we are chugging along (my truck won't do 70 and the 18-wheeler wasn't setting any speed records either) passing the slower cars, a gray SUV speeds up on my tail and starts flashing his high beams. I understand he wants to pass-but what am I to do? The right lane is full and I can't just bowl over the 18-wheeler in front of me. When I was safely past the cars in the right lane, I moved over. As the SUV went by, he gestured me with the universal sign of displeasure....

Not 30 minutes later (at 7:00 AM) I was traversing a strange part of the city (for me) going 34 mph in a 35 mph zone and got pulled over. I didn't see the flashing school lights indicating the school zone (25 mph). My fault yes-but the irony of it all.

********************

And finally this morning, this sordid business of making money: I have to spend most of my day doing it, instead of working to get the fall garden ready or to finish some new fencing etc. Ah, well. Such is the struggle.

Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: